Friday, June 28, 2013

Keep my heart from breaking up...

1.30 am is a time when most people are asleep. Yet inspiration lives in the moment, and two days ago I knew I couldn't let it pass me by. Luckily the flat was pretty much deserted, but I knew my flatmate would be trying to sleep. Grabbing my acoustic and softly humming the tune to myself I tiptoed to the kitchen and began to play quietly. Within moments, I had the hook, chorus and an idea of the intro. The verses and outro would come later, scrawled out on a sheet of lined A4 to the light of my single lamp.

That night, I didn't sleep much, but I got one of my favourite songs ever. And I'm grateful I stayed awake, even if I still feel the effects days later. Worth it.

WANTING

You say I'm like the moon,
Maybe space was all I needed.
And I stay awake for hours,
Think of hearts and how they're bleeding

Over distance, long term blisters
These points of difference
That make you change your mind.
Drowned devotion, the distant ocean
A lack of motion
That make it hard to find

That all I ever wanted
Was sitting here right next to me
I was watching it leave like oceans
Drifting out to sea
And it won't take much of what little's left
For me to be all I wanted to be

I say you're like the sun
And maybe light was all I needed
I stay outside for hours
Think of you and how your breathing

Gets to me, in ways unseen
Kill me quietly
Or watch me change my mind.
While drowned devotion, the distant ocean
A lack of motion
All make it hard to find.

All I wanted, all I needed was love
That's enough, oh that's enough
To keep me satisfied, to rest my troubled eyes
Keep my heart from breaking up
Oh keep me up, I'm sinking keep me up
Love keep me up

(c) Copyright Jordan Gowan 2013
 All rights reserved to The Falling Movement music.


Hopefully you get to hear it soon, in one form or the other. This one's too good to not share I reckon. Leave a comment and let me know what you think, I'd be so stoked to hear from you!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow I love these lyrics and how they move me from drowning in the stuff around me to being part of the creation i'm dwelling in.. thanks man.