Friday, August 3, 2012

Adventures in recording!

First of all, I'm stoked to announce that I've finally started work on some more new music for you guys. Lately I've been listening to a ton of ambient music by artists such as Bon Iver, Sigur Ros, and Future of Forestry, and I've been hugely inspired by the magical soundscapes they create - it's almost like painting with music! So because I've been getting into it, my own music has been leaning that way a bit more, which is pretty exciting! Started work on a new track this week and it sounds pretty epic so far - so hopefully I should have that up on my Youtube Account sometime soon. So keep an eye out for it!
We had our reggae gig last night, which was....um...interesting. Ignoring all the stuff which happened after it, the show was actually legit! Everyone played super well and the crowd got really into it! Plus some of my friends came out and supported, which just made it that little bit awesomer! Thanks guys :D
Anyway, one of the better things about last night was my band won second place out of all the originals aired that night, which meant we got to go record it in Wanganui today!
It was so much fun! The recording studio was set up sweet, and the final mix sounded so professional! We had heaps of good times on the way too - talking about wooly mammoths and laughing at Ben & Curtis' ridiculous Rasta voices. Oh, and we got it cut in super quick time too - in under five hours which was pretty impressive (apparently that's as fast as a proffessional band would do it!).
Actually to be honest, I'm pretty stoked with this original. I ended up writing a significant proportion of it which was a bit weird, but kind of cool. I'm not used to playing reggae, let alone writing it - but it was a good experience. I think it forced me to step out of comfort zone a bit - and really stretched my songwriting limits. But the end result was amazing! All credit goes to the band - they really took it on board and made it their own - so it no longer feels like my song, but our song! It has a sweet beat, was awesome to play live, and even more fun to record! I'm super keen for when our cd comes out and I can hear the final result - it's gonna be awesome
Here's the lyrics, if anyone is interested - hope you enjoy!


WE ARE STILL ONE
(lyrics by Jordan Gowan and Alissa Pawson)

Yeah, many people on this planet
Have no voice
With different opinions
Divided by nations

But we are still looking for the same things
We're still searching for freedom

So move your feet to the rhythm of the people
Who stand up, stand up for you
Move your feet to the rhythm of a nation
Who's aching for the truth

Yeah, many people on this planet
Live in separation, alone and supressed
These different opinions
Dividing the nations

Different people
But we are still one
Different nations
We are still one
Different governments
We are still one
Oh so many different things
But we are still one
                                     (c) copyright Band 2, Jaguar Falls, and UCOL Contemporary Music 2012

Peace out world!

Jordan

2 comments:

Laurie said...

You record music? Very cool. Something I've always wanted to try. :) Good luck on your musical journey!

thefallingmovement said...

Hey thanks Laurie! Yeah I do a bit of recording - something I've been trying to get into a bit more this year! Still need a bit more practice at it - as you can see from the Youtube video :D Oh it's definitely an experience worth doing!!! Just try it out!