Thursday, July 26, 2012

Featured New Artist: The xx

WHAM! Told you I'd make this a feature!!!
Ok, so it has been a while since the first one (which you can read here) but this is my second post in a running feature where I talk about a new (or relatively new) artist. So if you're looking for some good new music (after all it's been a while since I've posted on my Youtube account), here's a great place to start!


I first heard about The xx from my sister, who's a bit of a fan. For some reason though, maybe judging on the name, I was expecting some sort of punk-rock band.
Which is what The xx is NOT.
The thing about this band is it took me quite a few listens (mostly on Youtube and Spotify) for me to decide that I like them. They have a really quite a different sound, while it takes some time to get adjusted to, is actually really cool.
One of the more awesome things about this group is they have both male and female vocals combining really nicely in quite a few of their tracks, courtesy of singers Oliver Sim and Romy Madley-Croft. Even though it seems Madley-Croft is the predominant lead (at least on their self-titled 2009 debut anyway), the two sing some awesome duets together. Check out the tracks "Stars" and "Islands " for a sampler!
Another factor in the favour of this English indie-pop band is their excellent guitar work. Before I go any further I must once again point out (yet again) that this is really different from the usual. So don't go expecting any blistering solos, or chugging power-chords. Instead The xx go for a less-is-more approach, choosing well placed licks and notes instead of pounding lead lines. But still, in today's pop saturated world it's nice to find a band who actually know how to play their instruments really well, and also know how to do it with a tone that sounds signature. If I was to compare it to any style of playing it would probably be slightly (but only slightly) leaning towards players like The Edge and Andy Sommers. In fact, speaking of Sommers, the lead riff into "Island" sounds slightly like The Police's smash hit "Message in a Bottle".... but at the same time still a little different. For more great guitar work apart from the aforementioned "Islands",  go no further than "Heart Skipped A Beat", "Crystalised" and my current favourite, the magnificent "Intro".
Dark and atmospheric, with a low, almost whispering quality to the overall production, The xx are a band with a sound of their own. The vocals are tight, the basslines are pounding, the guitar lines are refreshingly different, and the lyrics are pretty decent to - I especially like the line "We'll watch things on VCR's, with me and talk about being love" (VCR). Gives me a great sense of nostalgia... good old videotapes haha.
Overall it's quite a winning combination, and something which works quite well for this band. Make sure you check them out!

No comments: