Thursday, April 26, 2012

Art & Sound - The Guitar (Part One)

This is in response to this blog  which I wrote quite a few years back where I listed my favourite guitars, and why. It's actually cringe-worthy reading this blog now, I can't believe I wrote something so un-classy! And I had a pretty awful taste in guitars too, seeing as out of the axes I listed, there's only one model on there I still find pretty cool (the PRS guitar - though I've moved on to a few better models).
This is Part One of a series of blogs where I detail my (current) favourite guitar models. I'm actually not sure how long it will go for, as I may have somewhere between five and ten favourite models - it's too hard to limit myself to 2 or 3!
Hopefully my knowledge of these beautiful instruments has increased more sufficiently to warrant enjoyable reading. If not, just look at the pictures and think: it's not just the sound that produces - these guitars look like a works of art as well!
1:
The PRS Mira


Bought to you by my long-running favourite guitar companies, Paul Reed Smith Guitars are custom made and usually very highly priced for the average musician (like me). If anyone's wondering why I have such respect for this company, take a look through their catalogue of artists and then tell me they're not good! Guitarists from bands such as Breaking Benjamin, Switchfoot, and Journey, and solo artists with huge followings such as John Mayer and Carlos Santana, all play PRS guitars. The PRS Mira is not only absolutely beautiful to look at but also, judging from various reviews I looked up, it sounds pretty sweet and is amazing to play as well. One of it's more unique features is having two pickup switches - one is a three-way switch to operate the choice of humbuckers used, while the other splits the humbuckers to single-coils and back again if desired. Absolutely genius - the clean sound of single coils favored by Fender Stratocaster players the world round, as well as the more dirty rock tones of the double humbuckers that Les Paul players prefer.
Really the only problem with these guitars is that they are quite hard to come by in New Zealand, as I've only seen one stocked on the online catalogue from Rockshop. Even then, it was somewhere around the three thousand dollar mark - altogether too expensive for me to purchase. Unfortunately.

2:
Airline/ Eastwood Guitars



I seem to have a fetish for oddly shaped, less-than-conventional guitars with a lot of knobs and special technology features. While previous searches (mostly on Google unfortunately) have turned up with vintage weirdness in the form of guitars like the Vox Guitar Organ, I think I've finally settled on my future dream "abnormal" guitar. And it will probably take the form of an Airline model brought out by Eastwood Guitars.
These guitars just do it for me aesthetically. They look so different, so out-there that if I was to ever see a performer play one of these, I would be instantly attracted to both his guitar and his playing. The Airline guitars of today are based on models made in the 50s so they have a vintage look to them (probably in the rubber casing that makes up the body). The model I have listed are the Custom '59 3P DLX and the Airline Tuxedo.
The Custom '59 features an out-there looking body, a smooth neck, three pickups (single coils and humbuckers) and no less than two pickup switches and SEVEN control knobs! The reason for this is that every pickup has it's own tone and volume knob, and a master volume is included as well.
As one can imagine this would give any player huge potential to alter their sound settings without even needing effects pedals!

At first glance, the Airline Tuxedo looks like a decidedly average retro Les Paul, but it's looks are not what drew my attention to it. I was originally going to post about the Coronado, but a bit of research into it showed that it didn't nearly sound as good as it looked. Disconcerted, I randomly clicked on a link to this model. And I was fairly impressed. On a distorted tone, it had a really nice vintage sound to it which was a lot less muddy than the Coronado. But when it was played clean with a hint of reverb it really stood out. Apparently it gets it's tone from being completely hollow-bodied, yet choosing to shun the sound holes that most hollow-body guitars have. Interesting.
While I'd favour the Custom '59 over the Tuxedo, the truth is I would really just love to have one of these Airline guitars. They are so out-there that they'd surely complement my preferred style of playing. Plus musicians such as Jack White (an amazing guitarist - check out his new song Sixteen Saltines for some sweet riffing!) and David Bowie (a famous 80's glam rock star - shame on you if you've never heard of him!) have endorsed the Airline models in recent years.
The only problem is, they aren't sold ANYWHERE in New Zealand at the moment. So if I was to ever purchase one it would have to be shipped in or bought overseas.... which is annoying because I'm really keen to jam out on one of these guitars!

For further parts, you'll have to keep reading this blog - I'd suggest hitting the "follow" button if you haven't already! And while you're at it drop in a comment about YOUR favourite guitar - whether it's one I've mentioned already, or one I have yet to discover!

No comments: