Sunday, July 17, 2011

Songs coming out of our ears!

I literally spent all of yesterday playing music!
First of all we practiced for our gig at Wings of Worship (which was pretty awesome by the way!). Then after that we spent a couple of hours writing a metal-esque song which we haven't quite finished, but sounds pretty mean. It's more of a hardcore song than metal, but yeah :)
Then after all that I had a short break before it was over to Hosanna Baptist to go soundcheck, then about an hour later we were rocking it up on stage! Seriously, playing live is so amazing. Dosn't matter where you are, how many people are watching, how small or big the venue (that one was the smallest stage I've ever played on though!) - it's just the best feeling ever to play songs that you helped write to people and see their response to it! I truly believe the best part about music is sharing it!
When we got home, we had some tea then I started mucking around on my guitar, trying to play a bit of Green Day. Then I got a little bit distracted playing around with this nice little guitar part I'd made up (albiet slightly inspired by the song 'Blackbird' by the Beattles). And BAM! The words just came to my head, and next thing you know I'm just sitting there plucking out and singing one of the most amazing songs I've ever written!
It's quite funny how inspiration sneaks up on you like that.
Anyway, this song is about a whole bunch of stuff I've been through in the last couple of months. I'm not afraid of saying that life's been a bit hard, and sometimes it seems that unless I pretend I'm ok, I'll fall to pieces.
Actually though, I've been in some really hard and dark spaces, and although I think I'm coming out the other end, life still is pretty tough at the moment. So this song is about all this inner turmoil I've been under. It's kind of all explained in the title: Symphony of the Heart [10.50 pm]
The [10.50 pm] is a reference to the actual time that I wrote it, and the title means just what it says. This is what my heart has been wanting to say for awhile now, it's just that music is the only way I can properly express what it's feeling. This song is my expression to the world, and although half of the people I play it to will not understand just how much of my thoughts this song explains, I hope and pray there's something in there you can all relate to. Cos that's why I write music: because maybe, just maybe, some of the people out there feel the same about things as I do.
So here's the song. Hope you like it - and hope I get to play it to you one day!

SYMPHONY OF THE HEART [10.50 PM]

It's the quiet before the storm/ It's all I hear when I wake in the morning/ For a moment I pretend it's fine/ Then the loneliness hit's me again/ (This time it feels like the end)

And all this time, you could've been mine, if you'd wanted to/ And all the pages of my heart, I pulled out for you/ And they want to talk, but i'm sick of talking/ When our words mean so little/ Why can't the songs tell our stories instead?

I saw you rise like morning glory/ I watched you fall in all your shame/ Why did I expect better from you?/ You're only human and we all fall/ (Still I wish the story was different after all)

You've got nowhere to go, and no way to get there/ Still, hold onto hope or you'll drown in despair/ Just keep holding on when it's all you can do/ Just keep holding on, it's not over for you
(c) Copyright Mayday 2011

Jordan

Ps Please leave a comment with your thoughts on the song! We always love to hear from you!
Come on - it'll make our day! :)

5 comments:

purpleSoapsuds said...

wow, jordan, you are AMAZING!!! this defiantley speaks to me and i'm sure that it will speak to heaps of other people too. =)

Invisible said...

those lyrics are beautiful! I would love to hear you play it one day =]

beka said...

JORRRRRRDAN, man I love that, how you've got this thing on your heart but no way of expressing it or anyone ever knowing the weight or extent of what it makes you feel (whether that be good or bad), and then YOU........you go and put words and music to something that can't be expressed. and I GET it. I feel it and I feel your heart through these words.
bro, you're gifted aye and it's so incredible and awe-inspiring to see you grow in that.

thefallingmovement said...

thanks k-dogg glad you liked it! i like that it spoke to you, even though at the time i was just writing for me...gotta love how feelings can be shared through music! :)
rachel, thats probably the best compliment i've ever got on my lyrics haha thank you! and i would love to play it to you one day too.
BEKAAAAA! so love how you get it! thats kinda why i write, so i can be understood, but not many people get that...
thanks so much for the comments all of you, your encouragement is amazing! keep being awesome!
Jordan

mayday said...

Jordan, you never cease to amaze me, inspire and encourage me. You are an awesome son! These words sure say it how it is.. I couldv'e written them, but you've done a better job!